About the Ordem dos Enfermeiros
The Ordem dos Enfermeiros (OE) is a public association established in 1998, free and autonomous in the scope of its attributions, with juridical personality, independent of the State, competent authority and representative of nursing and midwifery graduates who practice in Portugal, in compliance with the principles of their constitution and the applicable legislation.
The main aim of the Ordem dos Enfermeiros is to promote the defence of the quality of nursing care rendered to the population, as well as to develop, regulate and control the practice of nursing and midwifery, guaranteeing that ethical and professional deontology rules are respected.
The Ordem dos Enfermeiros awards two titles:
which qualifies nurses to provide general care
- Specialist Nurse in …
which qualifies nurses to provide specialised care in six specialised areas: community nursing specialist; medical and surgical nursing specialist; rehabilitation nursing specialist; infant health nursing and paediatrics specialist; maternal health nursing and midwifery specialist; mental health nursing and psychiatrics specialist.
Strategic directions of the Ordem dos Enfermeiros:
- Quality standards in nursing care;
- Ethical aspects of professional practice;
- Development of the profession;
- Nursing involvement in health policy.
Some of the duties of the Ordem dos Enfermeiros:
- Define the level of professional qualification of nurses;
- Register all nurses and regulate the practice;
- Award the professional titles of nurse and specialist nurse;
- Protect the qualification and the profession of nurse;
- Pronouncing on the training models and on the general structure of nursing programs.
Governance bodies of the Ordem dos Enfermeiros:
General Assembly (all members)
Board of Directors
Board of Jurisdiction
Board of Audit
Board of Nursing
Specialty Professional Colleges
Mental health and psychiatric nursing
Maternal health and obstetrics nursing (midwifery)
Infant health and paediatrics nursing
Regional Board of Directors
Regional Board of Jurisdiction
Regional Board of Audit
Regional Board of Nursing
Deontology and ethics:
The Nurses Deontological Code (Code of Ethics) is included in the Statute of the Ordem dos Enfermeiros and states that nursing interventions have to guarantee the defence of the freedom and dignity of the human being and of the nurse.
Within its professional relationships, the nurse has to comply with the universal principles of equality, freedom, truth, justice, altruism, solidarity, competence and professional improvement.
The activity of Portuguese nurses must be guided by:
- the responsibilities inherent to the role played by nurses in society;
- the respect for human rights in the relationship with clients;
- excellence in the practice of the profession in general and the relationship with other professionals in particular.
A brief history:
The Ordem dos Enfermeiros was legally established in 1998, by the Parliamentary Law, as the result of an aspiration of decades of the Portuguese nurses.